Monday, February 9, 2009

I didn't have to eat my words--what a pleasant surprise!

I think last week I said something about time constriction and how an open source server running DSpace can be reinstalled in three hours' time, given no interruption. Last week, actually the very day that I posted that, I did something to crash the test server running DSpace. Although it had been something I'd planned to do, I was hoping to let the server run a little longer before the crash.

I determined to test my theory about three hours, and, as it turns out, when I block everyone from speaking to me, and when I let my desktop support person, Jason Price (a conscientious, invaluable colleague), run interference from distractions, I was indeed able to uphold my three hour promise.

I decided that instead of trying to mess around with all the crazy Postgresql permissions (I chowned where I shouldn't have), I wanted to upgrade to the newest version of DSpace and simply would replace the extant data tables. I also had a few items on the prior test server (services, software, etc.) that I really didn't need, and instead of just using a fine-toothed comb to take care of the things I didn't like, I realized it was a good opportunity simply to format the server, reinstall the newest release of DSpace (something I was sort of waiting on, but when I saw what crashed the system, I realized that I couldn't keep using that older DSpace release), and get everything running well.

What have I learned, then, since beginning this DSpace project? I have learned a most valuable lesson when working with open source software: Open source documentation is very poor until you understand how the writers are speaking; in other words, open source documentation gives you the very bare minimum without any contingencies or very good FAQ support for when errors crop up. Once I'd installed DSpace the first time using Carlos Ovalle's instructions (http://sentra.ischool.utexas.edu/~i312co/dspace/), I understood how all the pieces of the puzzle fit together, enough to where I could then navigate the DSpace instructions without confusion. I also realized what I have to change for running DSpace on Gentoo. I'm a little nervous about running on the Dell-supported RedHat server, switching OSes, but really, one open source OS isn't all that different from another, not in the nuts and bolts capacity. (Insert smirk from the open source audience here).

Since this is only Monday, I plan to test Archivists' Toolkit on this Dspace installation. If you're wondering what I'm referring to, please visit http://www.archiviststoolkit.org/ to find out!


That's all for this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment