Monday, February 15, 2010

Aww, Look at Google and Y! Being the Good Guys ... It's so cute!

(I originally accessed this article from Slashdot's posting of it.)

I love to read things about free speech being protected, especially when the "protectors" are companies like Google and Y!. Now, I'm not saying that I disagree with opposing Conroy's plan, but I do have to critique people's immediate willingness to jump on and declare Google and Y! heroes for helping the community. Sure, we don't want to be China--THEY'RE NOT CAPITALISTS! (Insert gasp here.)

Is there a bottom line here? Oh, I think so.

Yet again, I have to say, I'd have no doubt bowed to the social order offered by Emperor Palpatine, but I don't think I'd pretend it was anything more than, "This society is super organized, and that appeals to my sense of feng shui!" It's called capitalism, people. Savor it. Enjoy it. Benefit from it. But don't overlook the fact that these companies are enjoying a profit from lack of filters.

I sometimes gripe about capitalism--don't get me wrong, I recognize that I thrive in an easy country to live in, but I also would prefer not to have broccoli shoved down my throat while someone tells me it's fried oysters.

No comments:

Post a Comment